• Museums

  • Calais - Musée Mémoire 1939-1945

Calais - 1939-1945 commemorative Museum

CALAIS, MUSEE MEMOIRE 1939-1945

 

Construction of the building began in 1941, less than a year after the German Occupation. The Todt organisation took charge of the works.

Once construction had finished, the site housed successive German port commanders from 1941 to 1944.

As the department’s telephonic transmission centre for the German navy, the site acted as a command post, notably for the German batteries positioned along the coast. It also served as a relay between the Kriegsmarine command posts based in Boulogne-sur-Mer and Dunkerque.

The building has five sections in total, with around 40 rooms.

Hidden behind the foliage of Saint-Pierre park, where civilian access was strictly forbidden, the site benefitted from total discretion. Also, despite the many bombardments which the Burghers’ city was subjected to during the conflict, the bunker was never hit.

In 1962, through the will and determination of three Calais citizens, Deroide, Le Sourd and Wiart, the Second World War Museum was founded. Its inauguration was held on 1st September 1962.

The museum currently occupies the 94m corridor which runs through the centre of the building. The 22 exhibition rooms allow visitors to dive into the history of the town and its citizens during this painful period of history. Visitors to this local history museum will have the opportunity to see photographs, press cuttings and other displays which bear witness to local history. Each room covers a specific theme from the conflict. The tour follows chronological order, starting with the breakout of war (September 1939) and ending with the Liberation (September 1944).

CALAIS, MUSEE MEMOIRE 1939-1945
Parc Saint-Pierre 62100 CALAIS
Pour la localisation GPS. Adresse : Avenue Wilson.
Tel : 03-21-34-21-57
E-mail


OPENING HOURS
February/ March : 11.00am to 5.00pm
(Closed on tuesdays and sundays)
April : 11.00am to 5.00pm
(Closed on tuesdays)
May/June/July/August/September : 10.00am to 6.00pm         
(Every day included sundays and public holidays)   
December/January : Annual closing      
 
Last admission 45 mn before the site closes.
Open all your for groups (minimum 10 people) prior reservation necessary.
 

PRICES
Adult : €6

Family : €14
(2 adultes + 1 to 3 children)
 
Child : €5
(6 years and above)
 
Student : €5
(Student card required)
 
Group : €5 /person
(Minimum 10 people. Free entry for guide and coach driver)
 
 
Free audioguide
Duration of the visit ±1.5 hours
Photography allowed
Disabled access
Picnic area
Free parking nearby
Dogs allowed if kept on leads